Before buying or adopting a pet, keep in mind that their lives depend on the way you treat and care for them. You have the commitment to look after them for the rest of their lives. South Bellmore Veterinary Group created a list of things that will help you in taking good care of your pet.
1. It is important to feed your pet good food in responsible portions only. Never serve table scraps as this are the quickest route to weight problems. These table scraps sometimes contain contents that can be harmful to your pet’s health. So make sure that their diet is proper and contains protein, fats, minerals, vitamins and carbohydrates your pet needs to stay healthy, happy and active all the time.
2. Did you know that human medicines are harmful to your pet once ingested? To avoid taking a trip to your vet because of an ingested OTC or prescribed medicine, you should start pet-proofing now. Keep in mind that pet poisoning due to human medications can be a serious condition which needs to be treated immediately as this incident can take the life of your pet. Human drugs can cause stomach upset, kidney damage, seizures and cardiac arrest and even death to your pet.
3. Ensure that your pet’s environment is safe and clean, pets are prone to getting infections and diseases easily on their environment. Thus, to maintain your pet healthy, provide them a safe environment away from all hazards.
4. There are two types of allergies in pets, food allergy and environment allergy. It is important that you are aware of the allergies your pet has, if there’s any, to avoid severe complications and an emergency trip to a vet. Pet manifest their allergies to a variety of skin, digestive and respiratory symptoms. Visit your vet now if you think your pet has allergies.
5. Allow your pet to exercise. Just like humans, a pet can get obese too if they don’t have the chance to burn off stored energy. Your pet needs exercise to maintain optimal physical and mental well-being.
6. Veterinarians are very important in the life of your pet. Make sure to choose the right vet fit to your pet. They can help you in preventing and treating disease and illness that might corrupt the body of your pet. Bring them for at least one or two wellness visit a year.
The most important thing you should share with your pet is love and attention. Human touch means a lot to them, it makes them feel that you truly care for them and their needs. By giving comforting approach like hugging and patting on the head will make him trust you more and will even cause him to please you more than you could possibly imagine.